Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday Monday

Yesterday was a very nice day! It ended up being quite warm. But I`m not complaining, its better then the rainy gloomy weather we`ve been having.


My family celebrated Easter, along with my brothers` 40th birthday! Its hard to believe my youngest brother will be 40 on Friday. But then again, I have to be reminded of my own age.


I am wrestling with an idea of re-entering the job market. I was employed by a large corporation for 13 years until they suddenly fazed out my position.


I want to continue to run my Etsy shop at the same time. Au Naturelle  Remember I`m only wrestling with this idea right now. Its such a big step to possibly take, since I`ve been out of the job market for almost probably going on two years.


We shall see, I will continue to wrestle with this idea for a week or so and see where I end up with it.


Well, moving on, I`ve got to get out and fertilize my flower beds this week.


Here are some tips that I found to help me. Maybe they can help some of you also.




  • Take a soil sample to your county extension office or a landscape center to test its nutrient content. A soil test is the foundation for making an informed decision on the type and quantity of fertilizer to use. Soil that is deficient in iron will benefit from a liberal application of bone meal. Follow the instructions on the package label.




  • 2
    Research the types of plants already established in your garden or those you wish to add. Many different species of plants have different nutrient and soil requirements. As an example, azaleas will flourish with a dose of Epsom salts added to the soil in the fall to encourage spring flowers.




  • 3
    Fertilize to feed and encourage new growth and flower production. Most flowering plants will benefit from one to two applications of fertilizer during the growing season. The first application should be made in spring when new growth appears or when planting. Apply one pound per 100 square feet of garden area. Work it into the soil.




  • 4
    Add organic compost to flower beds to help retain moisture and encourage growth. Spread a 2- to 3-inch layer of organic compost on the garden and work it well into the soil. As the compost decomposes, it will gradually add nutrients and avoid fertilizer burn.





  • Now believe me I am by no means a green thumb kind of girl, but I would like to get my flower beds looking good. So hopefully these tips will help me and any one interested in fertilizing your flower beds.


    Also the lilac bushes are budding nicely, I can`t wait to pick those beauties and fill my vases with them. They are one of my favorite flowers and so fragrant. They fill the rooms with wonderful scent. A few more weeks and they`ll be ready for picking.


    Well enjoy the day!
    And As Always!
    Keep It Clean!
    JoAnn~

    No comments:

    Post a Comment