Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shop Of The Week

Today I have picked a wonderful vintage shop for my shop of the week.
Its called The White Home, it is full of wonderful all white vintage finds.




White goes with everything. It adds a touch of lightness and brightness to any room full of color. Or if you`re looking for a clean neutral look to a room, just add all different shades of white.

And while I`m on my white kick. Today I`m featuring white thyme as my herb.
The thyme pictured above is
White Flowering Lemon Frost Thyme
And 


Tiny White Flowering White Moss Thyme

Thymes are a blessing and a curse. A blessing because there are so many different kinds and a curse because there are so many different kinds. 
It is the Ground Cover Thymes that tend to confuse. Most folks want to use the Ground Cover Thymes to cover the ground. Not much of a surprise there. But, different folks have different amounts of ground to cover. It is important to know the difference between a ground cover thyme that is appropriate for a two inch space and one that is appropriate for a two foot space.  LargeThymes stuffed into a small space will disappoint with time. They will cover up stepping stones, spreading their stems onto paving that will not support growth, leaving behind a stub where the ground cover was suppose to be.
Just like all plants, Thyme spreads by growing from one set of leaves to the next. In between the leaves is a stem segment. This little fact is what determines how fast a thyme will grow and ultimately how wide the spread is. It takes more energy and time to produce a set of leaves than to project a stem segment.

Thyme is great in many recipes,
I have two featured today.
Here is a great simple one for an appetizer. Wonderful for parties and get-togethers.

Thyme Rolls On

8 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
I Tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
I Tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1/2 Teaspoon finely minced garlic
Blend all ingredients thoroughly and roll into a 1" diameter log in wax paper. Refrigerate overnight. Slice into 1/4" wheels and serve on crackers.


Finally my favorite recipe. A great one for the cooler weather, really warms the soul.

SOUPS

Spring Onion Soup

3/4 Pound potatoes
1/2 Stick unsalted butter
3/4 Cup chopped spring onions (include 1/2 the green)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
l Sprig fresh thyme
2 1/2 Cups milk
1 Teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
Peel and chop potatoes. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter, then toss potatoes and onion in the butter. Sweat, covered, over moderately low heat for 10 minutes. Add broth and thyme sprig and simmer until potatoes are very soft, about 15 minutes. Discard sprig and puree to a soup. Transfer to a saucepan, stir in milk and minced thyme leaves. Add salt and pepper, and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serves 6.
PENNY MELTON, PENNY'S GARDEN


As the season gets busier, I will probably do my blog a little less, however I will try to post at least three times a week. I`m going to shoot for 

Tuesday
Thursday
And 
Saturday

The holidays become a very busy season along with my Etsy shops, working outside of the home and family too. However I really enjoy blogging and will be sure to make it fit in my busy life.

As Always 
Keep It Clean
JoAnn


No comments:

Post a Comment