Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Night

Friday Night

A quiet Friday night, I`ve been busy in my workshop. I have a few new surprises on the ~so called~ burner.
Sadly I am starting to count the days until my son leaves for college. Its not so much that he will be far away, because his school is only 1 1/2 hours away. It is more the fact that he is leaving the (for lack of a better word) Nest. I will gladly go to get him every weekend and sadly return him on Sunday`s. Thank goodness for Skype. What did mothers do before modern technology? At least I can see him whenever he wants. I`ll just have to kiss the computer screen instead of his cheek.
I have asked him if he is getting excited? He tells me not really. But I know better, he is a lean mean learning machine.
I pretty much have him all ready to go, just a few odds and ends left. Its like packing for the vacation of a lifetime, literally, what a great way to look at it.
A college education is something that should be mandatory for every high school graduate in this country, but sadly that is not the way it is.
I feel very fortunate that my son has such a great opportunity to further his education and make something wonderful of his life. I couldn`t be prouder!
Well, to finish for tonight, I`d like to tell all of you to be watching the shop. I will be offering some new products with lavender and also calendula.
Busy is best for me.You know what they say about idle hands. The old saying Idle hands are the devil`s workshop. Her`s a little info I dug up on the old saying.

Another variant of this phrase, namely "The Devil finds work/mischief for idle hands to do", but I don't have any idea as to the origin either.
: : : Here's a blurb I found, courtesy of Google:
: : : Nothing good comes from boredom. It's said that idle hands are the devil's workshop, an old saying dating at least as far back as Chaucer in the twelfth century who called idle hands the devil's tools.
: : Fac et aliquid operis, ut semper te diabolus inveniat occupatum. (St Jerome, _Letters_)
: : Therefore seith Seint Jerome: "Dooth somme goode dedes that the devel, which is oure enemy, ne fynde yow nat unocupied." (Chaucer, _Tale of Melibee_)
: : In Works of Labour or of Skill I would be busy too: For Satan finds some mischief still for idle Hands to do. (I. Watts, _Divine Songs for Children_, 1715)
: : If the Devil finds a Man idle, he'll set him at Work. (J. Kelly, _Scottish Proverbs_, 1721)
: : If the devil catch a man idle, he'll set him at work. (T. Fuller, _Gnomologia_, 1732)
: : Idle Brains are the Devil's Workhouses. (_ibid._)
: : The Turks have a proverb, which says, that _The devil tempts all other men, but that idle men tempt the devil. (Colton, _Lacon_, 1820)
: : An idle brain is the devil's workshop. (H.G. Bohn, _Hand-Book of Proverbs_, 1855)
: : "Idle hands do the Devil's work, Paul." (K. Vonnegut, _Player Piano_, 1952)
: : "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." That seems to be the attitude among President Clinton's Pentagon appointees who recently drafted plans to involve the military in domestic social programs.... (_Washington Times_, May 18, 1995)
: "Friends, the idle brain is the devil's playground."....Meredith Willson, "The Music Man"....
: because I can't come up with anything better.....
IDLE HANDS ARE THE DEVIL'S TOOLS - "Idleness is the root of mischief. This maxim has been traced back to Chaucer's 'Tale of Melibee' (c. 1386). First attested in the United States in 'Collections' . The proverb is found in varying forms:: Satan has some mischief for idle hands to do; The devil finds work (or mischief) for idle hands to do." From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996).
Another way of phrasing it, to stay out of trouble: PUT YOUR HANDS TO WORK AND HEARTS TO GOD - Philosophy of Ann Lee, "Mother Ann," founder of United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, known as the Shakers.

So get busy!
And As Always!
Keep It Clean!
JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment